Thursday 2 April 2009

ROUND THE WORLD Soon to hit the road (not literally - I hope)

I and a friend, who I met via the Adventure Motorcycling Website 'Horizons Unlimited', are about to head off on an unsupported world motorcycle ride. The plan is to depart on 17 April 2009 and ride east through Europe to Turkey and from there through a number of the 'Stans' to Russia and then to Vladivostock via Mongolia. We will then take the opportunity to test the bikes for their sea keeping capabilities during the ferry ride to South Korea. Having tried them at sea we will test them in the air from Soeul to Vancouver before we head south to Argentina. Another flight from Buenos Aires to Cape Town will precede the ride home through Africa.

After a snowboarding accident I was medically retired from the Royal Navy. This followed some months as an in patient at Headley Court the military rehabilitation centre in Surrey. The centre is a leader in its field but is now overflowing with victims of the conflict in Afghanistan and Iraq. The treatment that I received there helped me to focus on those things that I am still able to do and develop techniques to minimise the effects of those things I cannot do. Headley Court is strongly supported by the charity Help for Heroes which aims to provide facilities and services for our servicemen and women disabled through their service. The treatment that I received at the centre has helped me to recover sufficiently to take part in this trip. I have included a link below in the hope that some of you might donate to this worthwhile charity. Thankyou.

I will try to update this blog as I meander through the countries of the world.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html

No comments:

Post a Comment